Meet the 2021-2022 Peer Experts
Adam Falknor | Team Captain
Hey everyone! I am a fourth year pursing a degree in accounting and a minor in organization and performance psychology. I am originally from Troy, Ohio, which is a suburb in the Dayton area, but plan to permanently live here in Columbus after graduation. Outside of being a Peer Expert, I am also a REACH Trainer for Peers REACHing Out (PROs), which is a professional student cohort of the OSU Suicide Prevention Program dedicated to providing mental health outreach to students on campus, and a member of Mount Leadership Society Scholars. After graduation, I plan to pursue my CPA certification and will be working full-time at an accounting firm called Plante Moran, specializing in tax. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with friends, distance running, playing disc golf, rock-climbing, hiking, and finding new music to listen to. Feel free to reach out to me if you need anything! I cannot wait to meet you all in the Learning Lab!
Emma Walker | Team Captain
Hi everyone! I’m a fourth-year from Somerset, Pennsylvania, majoring in psychology with a dual minor in American Sign Language and musical theatre. I am a Team Captain for the Learning Lab and a Research Assistant for The Ohio State University’s Cognitive Development Lab. Additionally, I am a coxswain for The Ohio State Women’s Rowing Team and am a member of the Deaf-Hearing Club. After graduating in May 2022, I will be pursuing a PhD in either Survey Methodology or Quantitative Psychology. If you have any questions or comments please email me! I look forward to working with you!
Hi everyone! I’m a third-year from Beavercreek, Ohio, majoring in psychology and Spanish and minoring in statistics. Outside of classes, I am involved in a research lab in the Human Development and Family Sciences department called the Child Emotion Lab. I am also the president of Bob Ross Club, the director of marketing for UNICEF, a peer mentor for the R-LEAD program, and a peer mentor for the University Exploration program. In my free time, I like to read, cook, watch movies/ TV shows, try new restaurants, and explore Columbus with friends. Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions you may have about statistics, or even just psychology in general!
Hi everyone! I'm a fourth-year from Dayton, Ohio, majoring in psychology with a minor in Spanish. I'm also on a pre-med track, so after graduation I plan to apply to medical school. On campus, I'm the Director of Standards of Excellence for my sorority (Alpha Phi) and a TA for Psych 1100. In my free time, I love to listen to music, workout, and eat good food. I'm always up for trying a new restaurant downtown. I'm also a huge traveler; so far, my favorite destination would have to be Italy. I love all things psychology and meeting new people, so feel free to reach out if you ever want to chat!
Hi there! I’m a fourth-year from Mason, Ohio, studying psychology and statistics. I plan to graduate at the end of this year and pursue a PhD in quantitative psychology. I love research and am currently studying ambiguous facial expressions with Dr. Fazio and statistical power with Dr. Pek. I hope to eventually use psychological research to help guide government and education policy decisions, as well as be a professor! I also am a resident advisor in Torres House on North Campus, and have lived in North Campus dorms for all four years at Ohio State. In my free time I love to play basketball, play video games, hang out with my friends, and make electronic music. If you ever want to talk music, psychology, statistics, or anything else, feel free to contact me!
Hey everyone! I am a fourth-year pursuing a degree in neuroscience with a minor in substance misuse and addiction. I am the Health and Wellness Coordinator for the STEM Exploration and Engagement Scholars program. I am an ambassador for the neuroscience department where I work with recruitment and incoming students. I am also an undergraduate course assistant for PSYCH 2333: Psychology of Human Sexuality. In addition, I am a certified Women's Gymnastics Judge for USAG. After graduating, I plan to go to medical school in hopes of becoming a psychiatrist specializing in addiction. I am from Broadview Heights, Ohio, which is a suburb outside of Cleveland. My interests include running, reading, listening to music, and Guy Fieri! Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions about the course or Ohio State in general!
Hello! I am a third-year with a major in finance and minors in EEDS (Environment, Economy, Development, & Sustainability) and psychology. After graduating from Ohio State, I would love to do something involving sustainability and business. I’m currently in Delta Zeta and am an Exploration peer mentor. In my free time I love to try new restaurants with friends, go on bike rides, listen to music, and watch Schitt’s Creek. Feel free to reach out with any questions - I’m excited to meet everyone!
Hi everyone! My name is Annelise and I am from the Northshore area of Chicago. Here at OSU I am pursuing a major in psychology and a minor in Spanish. After my undergrad, I hope to continue to study psychology in graduate school to one day become a school psychologist. On campus, I am a member of Chi Omega social sorority as well as Psychology Club. Over the summer I work as a camp counselor in my hometown. Working with kids this past summer has really shown me how much I want to work with kids in my future career. I am so excited to be a Psych 2220 Peer Expert this year and work with everyone taking this class!
Hey everyone! I am a second-year from Buffalo Grove, Illinois, which is about 45 minutes northwest of Chicago! I am pursuing a major in psychology. After undergrad, I plan to go to graduate school to earn a Masters in Clinical or Counseling Psychology, and hopefully earn my Psy.D. after that! I would love to be a clinical psychologist and work with kids and adolescents, but I’m still discovering what other paths I can take. School counseling is also an interest of mine. In addition to being a Peer Expert, I am involved in Greek life. I am a part of the sorority Zeta Tau Alpha here on campus, where I am on the sisterhood committee for the chapter. I also am involved at Ohio State Hillel as a Greek Life engagement intern. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my sorority sisters and friends, watching Netflix (Grey’s Anatomy and Criminal Minds are my favorite), staying active, cooking and baking, and going to coffee shops. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me, whether it be about Psychology 2220, psychology in general, my other involvements on campus, or anything going on in your life. I’m always down to grab a coffee and chat!
Hi everyone! I am a second-year from Cincinnati, Ohio, currently pursuing a neuroscience major and clinical psychology minor. In terms of future goals, I plan to go on to earn my PhD in clinical psychology and eventually work with children with developmental disabilities. I am also a member of Ohio State’s “Buckeyes Against Alzheimer’s” club. Aside from my academics, I love playing piano, singing, painting, watching sitcoms, traveling, and of course, spending time with my cat. This year is my first year to actually be out and about on campus, so I am very excited for the opportunity to be meeting new people as a peer expert!
Peer Expert Job Description
- Work with students providing explanations or concepts and guidance on practice problems but will NOT do homework problems for the student.
- Peer Experts are scheduled to work 5-8 hours per week in the Learning Lab.
- Peer Experts present at least one review session each semester to a group of over 100 students. Review sessions take place in the evenings before each of the Psychology 2220 exams.
- Peer Experts assist in Psychology 2220 classes 1-3 times each semester. Psychology 2220 classes are typically on MWF in autumn and spring semesters.
- After reporting to work promptly at the scheduled time, Peer Experts are expected to be helpful, courteous, and respectful to students at all times.
- Peer Experts work with a student for one or two problems at a time and then to move on to other students who need assistance.
- Peer Experts provide feedback to students and offer an opportunity for discussion and exploration of concepts in data analysis.
- Peer Experts encourage students in the Learning Lab to work with and learn from each other.
- Peer Experts attend in-person trainings and complete weekly practice problems to review concepts and sharpen their explanatory skills. Particularly in autumn semester, Peer Experts should expect to spend 1-2 hours per week on training.
- All Peer Experts must be available on the Friday before classes start in Autumn semester for a mandatory training and orientation.
Peer Expert Qualifications
- Peer Experts must be knowledgeable about data analysis content covered in Psychology 2220.
- Peer Experts should possess excellent communication and listening skills.
- Peer Experts should be skilled in using SPSS and Excel and be willing to learn more advanced skills.
- Peer Experts should have a patient, helpful, caring, and sensitive demeanor and a positive attitude when working with students.
- To apply, you must be an undergraduate student at Ohio State in AU22 and SP23.
- Interested students apply to be a Peer Expert for the upcoming academic year during the prior spring semester.
- Following the online application, applicants for the Peer Expert positions complete an online Skills Test covering content from Psychology 2220.
- Selected applicants are invited to interview.
- After interviews, applicants may be offered a position as a Peer Expert for the upcoming academic year.
- During the summer, Peer Experts complete online training and readings to sharpen their data analysis and tutoring skills.
- On the Friday before classes start in autumn semester, Peer Experts must attend a mandatory orientation before starting work in the Learning Lab.
Peer Expert Compensation
- Beginning Peer Experts are paid at an hourly rate of $8.75.
- Peer Experts who return to work in the Learning Lab in succeeding years may receive an increase in their hourly rate.
Check back SP22 for information on the 2022-2023 application.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org