IMPORTANT! **Due to COVID-19, for the admission year Autumn 2021 ONLY, the GRE will not be required but recommended for admission to the Department of Psychology.
Please ensure that all of your application materials are received by the December 1 deadline for full consideration. You should anticipate typical delays in obtaining letters of recommendation, test scores, and get an early start. Admission decisions are made only after all materials are received.
Thank you for your interest in graduate study in psychology at The Ohio State University. By following the instructions on this page you will complete your Ohio State Graduate School Application for the Department of Psychology online.
WARNING! November 26, 27, 28, 29 is a Holiday Weekend for the University. We will not be available for questions during these days. The deadline is December 1st which is a Tuesday. Please keep in mind the system may be slow this holiday weekend and it may take longer than usual to upload items, submit applications, etc.
- All domestic applications completed by December 1, 2020
- All international applications completed by December 1, 2020
WARNING! **Due to COVID-19, for the admission year Autumn 2021 ONLY, the GRE will not be required but recommended for admission to the Department of Psychology. If you plan on taking the GRE, you should take the test before mid-November to ensure scores are received in time, please allow 2-3 weeks for scores to be processed by the Admissions Office.
- The Psychology Department ONLY Admits for Autumn Semester Each Year.
- The Psychology Department ONLY Admits Students Interested in Acquiring a Ph.D.
Things You Do Online
Complete Ohio State University Graduate School Application
You will need:
- Credit Card (Fee: $60 domestic, $70 International)
- References: Names and email addresses of three professional references. Recommendation letters will be submitted online through the Graduate School application.
- **Due to COVID-19, for the admission year Autumn 2021 ONLY, the GRE will not be required but recommended for admission to the Department of Psychology. If you decide to take the GRE (as it is not required for AU21 but is recommended) have your official General GRE scores sent to Ohio State (1592).
Note that participants in the following programs may be eligible for a fee waiver:
- ABRCMS/SACNAS (IBGP-PHD applicants only)
- Americorps (John Glenn School of Public Affairs applicants only)
- CIC Free Apps
- City Year (John Glenn School of Public Affairs applicants only)
- Graduate & Professional Student Visitation Day (GPSVD)
- McNair Scholars Program
- National Name Exchange
- PGD Program
- Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP)
- Teach for America (John Glenn School of Public Affairs applicants only)
Psychology Specific Information
When you click Next at the bottom of this page you will be directed to the Graduate Admissions site to begin filling out your Graduate Application. In the application you will also fill out information specifically regarding the Psychology Department.
You will need:
- Program Area First Choice and Second Choice:(choose from the following: Behavioral Neuroscience, Clinical, Cognitive, Developmental, IDD, Quantitative, Social, or Decision Science, Cognitive Neuroscience) you will not be able to submit your application unless you list at least a first choice of area.
- Information on all Psychology Courses Taken: (Course, Instructor, Grade, and Credit Hrs.) There may not be enough room for all your courses, but please try to list them under the appropriate area (General, Developmental, Social/Counseling, Industrial/Applied, Quantitative). We will see your transcript so don't worry if they are not quite correct or don't fit into an area.
- Autobiographical Statement/Statement of Purpose: This statement is very important. Please describe why you wish to pursue graduate study, why you chose psychology as your major field of graduate study, and why you are interested in attending Ohio State. You only need to upload this document. It is not necessary to send copies. Your autobiographical statement should be uploaded as either a pdf or docs file.
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume: Required of all applicants who wish to be considered for a Graduate School Fellowships. You only need to upload this document. It is not necessary to send copies. Also, please do not include writing samples with your CV. Writing samples will be solicited by the area admissions chair to which you are applying if needed. Your CV should be uploaded as either a pdf or doc file.
- Transcripts: Please use the “Upload Transcript” button to send copies (front and back) of official transcripts from ALL institutions attended where college credit was earned – even if you attended while in high school. International Credentials should include certified educational records and degree certificates or diplomas in the original language with English translations.
- Send an electronic copy of official transcripts issued by your institution’s Registrar or order electronic transcripts. Make sure to mark out all U.S. social security numbers before scanning. Ohio State will not accept web reports, advising reports, self-reported scores, or transfer credit on another school’s transcript.
- If you are admitted to the university as a graduate student, you will be required to submit final official transcripts. Do not send the Graduate and Professional Admissions Office paper official transcripts unless specifically requested by our office. Transcripts take 2-4 weeks to process once received. Students are responsible for requesting official transcripts from their institutions in plenty of time to allow for OSU to process them prior to the deadline.
- **Due to COVID-19, for the admission year Autumn 2021 ONLY, the GRE will not be required but recommended for admission to the Department of Psychology. If you plan on taking the GRE students MUST have the Official General GRE Scores Sent to Ohio State (1592). International Students Must Submit OFFICIAL TOEFL Scores (do not send copies) if they have not graduated from an accredited U.S. university or college
- One or More Admitting Faculty or Labs With Whom You Would Like to Work While at OSU: This field will be required so please take time to look and see with whom you feel your interests are similar.
Checking Application Status
After submitting an application, first time applicants are sent an email from The Ohio State University’s Information Technology (IT) Service Desk, assigning an OSU ID and username (in a lastname.# format). The username is used to access the self-service page.
Applicants who have or had an affiliation with Ohio State DO NOT receive the above-mentioned email. They should already have an OSU ID and username.
New applicants with no prior or current affiliation with Ohio State who know their OSU ID and username must activate their account on MY.OSU. For assistance with the activation process, please contact OCIO.
Questions or Concerns
You can direct questions and/or concerns to the following:
Psychology Graduate Program Coordinator