Please ensure that all of your application materials are received by the December 1 deadline for full consideration. You should anticipate typical delays in obtaining letters of recommendation, transcripts, and get an early start. Admission decisions are made only after all materials are received.
Thank you for your interest in graduate study in psychology at The Ohio State University. By following the instructions on this page you will complete your Ohio State Graduate School Application for the Department of Psychology online.
WARNING! November 24, 25, 26, 27 is a Holiday Weekend for the University. We will not be available for questions during these days. The deadline is December 1st which is a Thursday. Please keep in mind the system may be slow during the holiday weekend and it may take longer than usual to upload items, submit applications, etc.
- All domestic applications completed by December 1, 2022
- All international applications completed by December 1, 2022
UPDATE **The GRE is NOT required for the autumn 2023 admission cycle.
- The Psychology Department ONLY Admits for Autumn Semester Each Year.
- The Psychology Department ONLY Admits Students Interested in Acquiring a Ph.D.
Things You Do Online
Complete Ohio State University Graduate School Application
You will need:
- Credit Card (Fee: $60 domestic, $70 International)
- References: Names and email addresses of three professional references. Recommendation letters will be submitted online through the Graduate School Application.
- Although the GRE is NOT required you can still submit GRE scores if you have taken the exam. Please have your official GRE General Exam scores sent to Ohio State (1592).
Note that participants in the following programs may be eligible for a fee waiver:
- ABRCMS/SACNAS (IBGP-PHD applicants only)
- Americorps (John Glenn School of Public Affairs applicants only)
- CIC Free Apps
- City Year (John Glenn School of Public Affairs applicants only)
- Graduate & Professional Student Visitation Day (GPSVD)
- McNair Scholars Program
- National Name Exchange
- PGD Program
- Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP)
- Teach for America (John Glenn School of Public Affairs applicants only)
These guidelines provide information about eligibility and documents that you must submit to prove financial need. If you have already been awarded a fee waiver from the application service or from the required admission testing service (DAT, GRE, OAT, PCAT, MCAT), the Graduate and Professional Admissions Office will automatically waive the application fee.
Psychology Specific Information
When you click Next at the bottom of this page you will be directed to the Graduate Admissions website to begin filling out your Graduate Application. In the application, you will also fill out information specifically regarding the Psychology Department.
You will need:
- Program Area First Choice and Second Choice:(choose from the following: Behavioral Neuroscience, Clinical, Cognitive, Developmental, IDD, Quantitative, Social, or Decision Science, Cognitive Neuroscience) you will not be able to submit your application unless you list at least a first choice of area.
- Information on all Psychology Courses Taken: (Course, Instructor, Grade, and Credit Hrs.) There may not be enough room for all your courses, but please try to list them under the appropriate area (General, Developmental, Social/Counseling, Industrial/Applied, Quantitative). We will see your transcript so don't worry if they are not quite correct or don't fit into an area.
- Autobiographical Statement/Statement of Purpose: Required of all applicants who wish to be considered for a Graduate School Fellowships. This statement is very important. Please describe why you wish to pursue graduate study, why you chose psychology as your major field of graduate study, and why you are interested in attending Ohio State. You only need to upload this document. It is not necessary to send copies. Your autobiographical statement should be uploaded as either a pdf or doc file.
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume: Required of all applicants who wish to be considered for a Graduate School Fellowships. You only need to upload this document. It is not necessary to send copies. Also, please do not include writing samples with your CV. Writing samples will be solicited by the area admissions chair to which you are applying if needed. Your CV should be uploaded as either a pdf or doc file.
- Transcripts: Please use the “Upload Transcript” button to send copies (front and back) of official transcripts from ALL institutions attended where college credit was earned – even if you attended while in high school. International Credentials should include certified educational records and degree certificates or diplomas in the original language with English translations.
- Send an electronic copy of official transcripts issued by your institution’s Registrar or order electronic transcripts. Make sure to mark out all U.S. social security numbers before scanning. Ohio State will not accept web reports, advising reports, self-reported scores, or transfer credit on another school’s transcript.
- If you are admitted to the university as a graduate student, you will be required to submit final official transcripts. Do not send the Graduate and Professional Admissions Office paper official transcripts unless specifically requested by our office. Transcripts take 2-4 weeks to process once received. Students are responsible for requesting official transcripts from their institutions in plenty of time to allow for OSU to process them prior to the deadline.
- Admission cycle autumn 2023, the GRE will NOT be required for admission to the Department of Psychology. If you have taken the GRE and want to submit the Official General GRE Scores, Send to Ohio State (1592). International Students Must Submit OFFICIAL TOEFL Scores (do not send copies) if they have not graduated from an accredited U.S. university or college
- One or More Admitting Faculty or Labs With Whom You Would Like to Work While at OSU: This field will be required so please take time to look over our website and faculty lab pages to see with whom you feel your interests are most similar.
Checking Application Status
After submitting an application, first-time applicants are sent an email from The Ohio State University’s Information Technology (IT) Service Desk, assigning an OSU ID and username (in a lastname.# format). The username is used to access the self-service page.
Applicants who have or had an affiliation with Ohio State DO NOT receive the above-mentioned email. They should already have an OSU ID and username.
New applicants with no prior or current affiliation with Ohio State who know their OSU ID and username must activate their account on MY.OSU. For assistance with the activation process, please contact OCIO.
Questions or Concerns
You can direct questions and/or concerns to the following:
Psychology Graduate Program Coordinator